30th April to 2nd May 2022
The Bala Lake Railway is 50 this year! And we'll be celebrating in style with several events during the year to mark the occasion.
The first rails for the nascent railway were laid in May 1972 and by August the first train was carrying passengers.
Our first event corresponds with the weekend in 1972 when the first track was laid at the railway.
We kick off the celebrations with our 'Bala at 50' event over the Mayday bank holiday weekend. As well as a recreation of the first tracklaying train, highlights include:
- On Saturday 30th April: The launch of our new book ' Rheilffordd Llyn Tegid - Y 50 Mlynedd Cyntaf / Bala Lake Railway - The First 50 Years 1972 -2022' with a special train hauled by Kerr Stuart Wren 'Jennie'.
- 'Jennie' visiting us from the Amerton Railway will be hauling additional trains on Saturday and Monday, and double-heading with our own engines on Sunday. This commemorates similar Kerr Stuart Wren 'Dryw Bach' which operated on the railway in the early days.
At Llanuwchllyn there will be additional attractions, including:
- two traction engines
- a sentinel steam lorry
- 7 ¼” gauge miniature railway rides
- 16mm scale model narrow gauge railway
- various stands and stalls
- the launch of our limited edition commemorative beer 'Aur Bala' and special commemorative beer glasses
We have also produced a more detailed information sheet which can be viewed by clicking here