12th to 13th June 2021, 10am to 4pm
Visit the Bala Town station site behind the Cinema for a special open day to promote our extension project and ride the first steam train to operate in Bala town since the closure of the standard gauge station in the 1960's.
- Ride behind the first steam train in Bala for 56 years.
- 2’ gauge temporary track with one of the BLR’s resident locos in steam and offering rides in an open coach.
- A 7.25” gauge miniature railway offering rides.
- The BLR Trust display showing the extension plans.
- Plans for the new Bala station revealed to the public for the first time this weekend!
- Guided tours of the extension route with Trust chairman Julian Birley starting from the existing Bala Pen y Bont terminus at 11:30 and 14:00.
- A model of the Bala Town station as originally proposed, built by Model Rail magazine - compare this with the new plans.
- Musical entertainment from a Mechanical Fairground Organ.
- Vintage vehicle display, including Ivo Peters' famous Bentley.
- Free vintage bus link to and from Bala Pen-y-Bont station.
- Frequent steam train departures on the Bala Lake Railway between 10:10 and 16:00, vintage buses to town connect with trains. Normal fares apply on the trains.
- Tea, coffee and cake stands
- BBQ stand
Entry and rides at the town site free.
Covid safe requirements for social distancing will be in place, and numbers permitted on site may be limited at busy times.
Find out more about the extension project on the Bala Lake Railway Trust website.
Location: Heol Aran (Aran Street), Bala, off the main A494 High Street opposite the Gulf petrol station. Ample car parking available in Council car park opposite site entrance (parking fees apply, postcode ). Why not start your day at Llanuwchllyn and travel by steam train and free vintage bus to the site.